I was talking with some close friends about faith, struggles, life, and made the general statement that I felt I’d grown so much this year in EVERY aspect of my life. And they said “like what?” I was caught. I had thought of some things over time, but it was amazing to have to think quickly and verbalize them all. So now I’m writing them down. This has been a year of pruning, stretching and maturing for me. I’d like to share some things I’ve learned this year through people, sermons, my daily bible reading, and just whisperings of the Holy Spirit in my soul-
- You’re either in a dip, were in a dip, or about to go thru a dip- the way we get thru that is to Receive God’s present activity, Remember God’s past faithfulness, Respond to God’s direction. (Steven Furtick)
- Like Elijah in 1 Kings 19 sometimes God tells us to go back the way we came so he can move us onto our next steps- we did that this year, moving back from Nashville, passed thru Clayton/C3 Church in Chad’s hometown, and came thru Lifepoint, and now onto this next season in our life whatever that is.
- Would I request a “do-over” of the past year? No, because despite some pain, I wouldn’t have learned anything, and I wouldn’t have the story I have now to impact other people in the future.
- I learned how to cook better and became a little crafty thanks to some good friends. A new found love for knitting!
- “Worship is not added to joy, and joy is not the by-product of worship. Worship is the valuing of God. And when this valuing is intense, it is JOY in God. Therefore the essence of worship is delight in God, which displays his all-satisfying value.” John Piper.
- People are messy. Relationships are messy. But those people, are just people. In need of grace just like me.
- “Rebekah, when you finally release control of the things in your life you think you have control of, THEN will I pour out blessing on you, give you the things you dream of, and show you the next step. When you let go, and know me for Me, I will do things you can’t even imagine.”
- I prayed for friends closer than a brother, what I got was totally unexpected. I got 2 best friends, whom I would give my life for, that know me better than anyone, encourage me, challenge me, pray for me, and ask me the really tough questions about myself.
- We have GOT to get a handle on our finances- there is NO freedom in debt. NO fun in not being able to give generously.
- It is extremely dangerous and unhealthy to put any one person or thing in such a place that you think your bad decisions or unhappiness is caused by something they did or didn’t do- that puts the control in their hands, and OUT of God’s. This is very wrong and a tremendous burden on the person that doesn’t even belong there. You need to apologize to them if you’ve been there.
- “Worship ministry was like an iceberg. The part that people see onstage needs to be the tip, and beneath the surface has to be a deep, hidden life with God. That challenged and inspired me to go deep in Jesus and make sure the public part of worship ministry was just the surface and that much lies beneath.” Vicky Beeching.
- You have to get your feet a little wet and closer to the water for God to part the Red Seas in your life.
- My marriage has been strengthened and we are closer than ever thru learning how to depend on God.
- Even if the way God has provided for me isn’t my grand ideal way of providing, it STILL is provision and I aught not turn my nose up at it.
- I’d rather not sit in a dumb cubicle taking calls about an industry I know nothing about and I don’t understand why I’m there, but that job is God’s PROVISION for a season.
- We have made major decisions in the last 2 years, that weren’t necessarily good ones- decisions that I made and got Chad to go along with. I had to own up to this mistake and allow my husband to lead our family. And resist the urge to lead.
- I LOVE and BELIEVE in my husband. And he needs to hear it more often.
And the biggest ones:
Deuteronomy 31:8 “Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.”
Circumstances (can) = Happiness. Joy = CHOICE.